Wonton Samosa

I think of samosa as the king of all snacks (described here). In India, good samosas are available everywhere and trying to make it at home is not worth the effort. There are halwai shops (read here for a definition) everywhere that make good samosas and sell at a reasonable price. Usually each shops has a set time in the afternoon to make fresh samosas. Since most of the neighborhood knows this time, you can see people queuing up around that time to get the fetch freshest samosas while friends and family waits at home with chai on the stove. On a recent visit to my hometown Agra, I was pleasantly surprised to see that this tradition continues.

I have been trying to learn how to make really great samosas at home since the time we moved out of India.  Over time, I have tried several recipes and learned to make them from scratch but making the dough, rolling and stuffing each one is a time consuming process.

Here I am  making Samosas using a shortcut by stuffing the potato masala in wonton wrappers and frying. It yields pretty good results and best of all, I can prepare a large batch in little time.



Recipe

Prepare stuffing. Here I am using a quick stuffing of mashed boiled potatoes mixed with freshly grated ginger, minced green chili, garam masala, amchoor powder, dhaniya powder and roasted jeera powder (recipe here), chopped cilantro and salt. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.

Wrap stuffing in wonton wrappers. Seal the edges with water and fry on medium heat till golden on both sides.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soup

Spring cleaning of my pantry & refrigerator

Mooli Tamatar Ka Salad (Radish/Tomato relish)