Everybody's favorite Bhindi

Bhindi, also referred to as Ladies finger in India, is the Hindi name for okra. It is one of the beloved vegetables in India. I remember liking it from a very young age. Not that I ask everybody I meet, but  I am yet to meet an Indian who did not like bhindi growing up. In my house, my mother prepared it dry (no gravy) style. The technique for making this type of bhindi is similar to cooking other dry vegetable sides. For chaunk (a technique of tempering spices in oil used in Indian cooking and described here), my mother used fenugreek seeds and then added onion and other spices,

Bhindi in the wok, right after it is done



Recipe

Heat oil in a heavy bottom (2 tbsp) wok or skillet. When hot sizzle 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds. Add chopped onions and fry till slightly brown. Add coriander powder (1tbsp), garam masala (1tsp), red or chopped green chilli, salt, turmeric and chopped okra. Mix and cover and let it cook on medium to high heat. Stir every 5 minutes till done and not looking slimy anymore. Add amchoor powder and mix. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soup

Spring cleaning of my pantry & refrigerator

Mooli Tamatar Ka Salad (Radish/Tomato relish)