Spring cleaning of my pantry & refrigerator

My pantry is usually very well stocked with different types of grains, flours, beans, legumes, nuts, spices, noodles, pastas, sauces, oils etc. I keep a running shopping list on my phone for items that run out or running low as a reminder to buy it when I am at the store next time.

I don't like to waste food so I am on the lookout for things that might go stale or bad. But periodically or sometimes a month or two before a long vacation, I go through a more formal cleaning approach where I stop buying ingredients for stocking and start planning meals with the intention of clearing out ingredients in my pantry and freezer. Since ingredients that linger longer in the pantry are typically the ones I don't use a lot of to start with, it takes some effort to plan meals around it.









For this spring cleaning, I have moved all items that need to be consumed completely to an eye level shelf in the pantry. Having these items in front of me will serve as a reminder and my goal is to plan meals around these ingredients as much as possible.

Look at all the flours, 3 almost done baking powder boxes, papadam in the plastic bag.





And this one is from my freezer. last year's blueberries, frozen vegetables all need to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soup

Birthday Cake